Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Internet Advertising

Describe how Internet advertising has impacted your web experience:

For the most part Internet advertising has had little impact on my web experience. More often than not however, it is a negative one. While most ads are on the sides of the page, not conflicting with my view of the page, some are blinking or contain animation (like the home mortgage ones) so they end up being distracting. I'm aware that this is a way for them to attract attention, but if the ad takes away from my experience with the site I may be less inclined to return. There are also ads that appear in the middle of my viewing area. Sometimes there are buttons to close the ad, but other times there isn't and I must click on the ad and then close the window that opens. A final type of ad I come across is the one that appears in between web pages when you click on an internal link. These are not too much of a bother, and I immediately click through them. Overall I am able to navigate the Internet with blinders on, not paying too much attention to the advertising found among its pages. When I do notice it however, it is often a nuisance and detracts from my online experience. While in some instances the ads may be annoying, I fully understand their place on the Internet and will continue to tolerate the dancing bear trying to sell me a low-interest mortgage.

No comments: